Subject: Waikiki hotel from 1978
From: William Forrest <[email-masked]>
To: William Forrest <[email-masked]>, John McCarthy <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 17:09:53 -0400

Hi John,

I'm in Honolulu for the IAU General Assembly, staying at the Ohia 
Waikiki (the cheapest I could find).  They say:

  "Introducing Waikiki’s Newest Hotel in the Center of the Action

Nestled in the heart of Waikiki, the brand new Ohia Waikiki is just 1.5 
blocks to world famous Waikiki Beach and steps from Waikiki’s best 
shopping, dining, activities, and entertainment. The Ohia Waikiki brings 
affordability, comfort, and the energy and excitement of Waikiki to your 
Hawaii experience. Our hotel features comfortable hotel rooms, studios 
and junior suites, each with private lanai and kitchenette with 4-burner 
stove and oven. Amenities include a comfortable lobby seating area with 
flat screen TV, swimming pool, sundeck, and bike and surfboard racks."

But in looking at pictures I took (attached) from our 1978 Hawaii C-141 
flight (more pics), I noticed below the dove I shot out the window was 
the handrail of the balcony, and it looked identical to the ones in my 
2015 hotel.  Further research into the building seen out the window on 
Google (also attached) verified: this is the very same hotel.  Back in 
1978 it was called the 'Outrigger Surf'.  I talked to one of the 
attendants here who said her father worked in maintenance in that 
hotel.  I have other pictures from 1978, and I've taken shots in 2015 to 
compare the similarities and differences.  I fear with all the 
development, we will be losing the 'old Hawaii' and its charm.

Jim is in bad shape, I don't know how to show these pics to him.  I 
showed many of them to Elaine when she was hospitalized in Rochester, 
and she enjoyed them.

Cheers,
Bill